Some overall server suggestions

You know....For things that are...General
iienji

Some overall server suggestions

Post by iienji » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm

Personally I have a few issues with Era as it currently stands. This stems from my interpretation of the server goal, recreate 75 FFXI with Quality of Life improvements. I will be posting each thing I have an issue with and what I think about it. I understand the changes I want to see are VERY unpopular but I see it as an overall long term improvement. And hopefully by the time you finish reading this, you will too.

1) Custom Relics
I don't believe there should be custom stats on relics nor should there be custom relics for jobs that don't have one in game. Currently the relics are too powerful, especially the Claustrum. This makes the hardest content far easier than it should be. Also it fails to recreate a 75 FFXI experience and is instead a funserver interpretation thereof. The Iridial/Chatoyant Staff is more than powerful enough. BLU is more than powerful enough without a relic. SCH is more than powerful enough without a relic. All this does is upset the balancing of the game and fuels the ridiculous dynamis farms leading to the current dynamis-jeuno situation. Also with more and more ToAU content coming out we might see the capability of creating mythics which would require more work for less payoff than the current custom relics. My solution would be to remove custom stats and custom relics. They aren't needed, are overpowered, and do not recreate a 75 experience.

2) Mentor Mythics
I don't understand what possessed the admins to hand out a full mythic to a player who obtains a Maat's cap on a mentor character, but this is frankly idiotic. While leveling mentor is much more work than leveling a standard character, the draw of it is to be closer to the 75 experience and should only come with additional QoL perks. Not to mention the custom relics outshine the mythics, yes, but most relics do not; adding to the already horrible balancing. Also leveling 15 jobs to 66+ at 1x exp w/o pages and defeating Maat no where near matches the amount of work to make a mythic. For those of you who don't know here's a VERY abbreviated rundown of how it works: Obtain a special weapon from Nyzul Isle as a random drop from NMs. Unlock the mythic ws by doing ws points based on your progression through nyzul isle, complete toau missions, obtain captain mercenary rank, complete every assault twice, beat all three beastmen kings in aht urghan, farm 30,000 alexandrite from salvage, and farm a number of ichor from einherjar I don't remember. My suggestion would be to pull every completed mythic from every character. It's not fair to the general players, is often overpowered, and no where near reflects the proper amount of work it takes to unlock mythic.

3) Multiboxing
I don't understand why you would play a multiplayer game and multibox 3+ characters at once. I fully understand that it requires skill, but it does not foster teamwork and cooperation which are values FFXI was built from the ground up for. I can understand using a second character as the server population is low, but I think it should be limited to one main account, one alternate account, and one bazaar account tops. If you're struggling to complete content, make some friends, join a shell, but don't multibox everything. it's a terrible crutch and doesn't server to recreate the 75 experience. In the words of the Dark Souls players: git gud. My solution would be to limit each player to two active characters at most.

4) Augments
Augments are broken. The system was created as a means to sink gil out of circulation. Basically because old players were sitting upon millions upon millions of gil with nothing to spend it on the admins at the time introduced eggs and augments to get some of the money out of the players as well as circulate some of it to newer ones. This system has failed horribly especially since now augments via eggs are being phased out. The augments themselves are stupidly overpowered. +10 Store TP on the Walhra Turban is crazy brutal earrings with additional double attack, toreadors with triple attack. This further unbalances a server out of balance. And now it's worse because the cruor used to augment gear is even easier to obtain. Not to mention the only gear that could have been augmented is hard to obtain gear to begin with such as the scorpion harness +1 but not it's nq counterpart, which further exacerbates the problem. Where does the power creep stop? Furthermore this does not recreate a 75 experience. The augments were a bad idea and should go away. They don't sink gil not have they since they were first introduced, and are overpowered and broken. All of the augments should be removed.

5) Grumblix
For a server with a small active population, the economy is terrible. Inflation is through the roof, and most of it has to do with Grumblix. Originally Grumblix would ask for items normally used for activities that don't currently work like gardening. Now it's this weird system where players literally earn millions of gil through relatively easy means. Obtaining a skip item requires some work making it harder, but most of the time it's buy what he asks from the AH then give it to Grumblix for more gil than what you spent. While this sounds good in theory what it does is create inflation as the gil is basically being poofed into the economy from an external source. and while this is necessary to ensure there is gil in circulation, there need to be ways of getting the gil back out of circulation (called sinking) and right now effective means of that do not exist. A proper start to getting the server economy back on track would be begin with shutting the valve on this faucet of gil. My recommendation would be to reduce the scope of Grumblix. Don't remove him, but nerf the requests he makes and the gil he pays. Both are excessive and do more damage in the long run. I understand this is something of a QoL feature as earning money in game can be a chore and an influx of gil is needed, but it really needs to be toned down.

6) FoV and Exping in general
Lately the admins removed the the EXP buff from the moogles for anyone with a job above 70. While it was never intended to be up so long and was there as a reward for putting up with server instability, it's removal has revealed an issue with exping. Overall humans will choose the path of least resistance. Right now that path is to grind out EP mobs for book exp. While nothing inherently wrong with this, it does become an issue when you find out mentors cannot use books for exping. A large draw of exping with mentors is that they provide a stable level sync for long peroids of exp grinding. If all people want to do is the one thing mentors cannot do, what are they do do but multibox, which is a problem I mentioned earlier. There should be more incentive to fight IT mobs for exp and thus actually form functioning exp parties. My suggestion is twofold: first apply some limits to page exp; one can only obtain once per ingame day or make it less rewarding the more people are in your party/alliance. Secondly, remove the exp chain bonus cap. When you defeat mobs EM or higher you get a chain bonus, but at chain 5 or 6 this bonus caps out. With it's removal it makes it more rewarding for players to do more traditional grinding, as well as form well functioning exp parties, and fosters further cooperation between players. Secondly it leaves FoV an option for those who cannot get a party for a specific point in time.

7) Custom content
While I don't see this as an overall issue, here's the deal: Custom content should fulfill one of two purposes, ensure greater quality of life for players or provide a means for things which cannot be obtained otherwise, such as BCNMs that aren't currently coded. They should not be used to balance outside of SE's design for 75 Era, as this is against the scope of the server and the effort can be better used towards recreating the currently missing content. Custom content should be more of temporary scaffolding and not the building's foundation. My suggestion would be to review every piece of custom content and ask the questions: Does this improve QoL in a healthy way, or does this provide something that cannot be obtained otherwise? If the answer is no to both of these, it should be removed. It doesn't recreate a 75 experience with QoL improvements.

If you made it this far then thank you for reading this messily written lists of complaints/suggestions. I truly love playing FFEra, it is one of my favorite servers. i just want to see it improve, and I think if we pull the Band-Aid off right now, it will sting, but will be good for all of us overall in the long run. If you have suggestions of your own, leave them down below. Please try to be civil, and I will see you all in Vana'diel.

Landsoul
Donator
Donator

Re: Some overall server suggestions

Post by Landsoul » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm

1) Custom Relics
I don't believe there should be custom stats on relics nor should there be custom relics for jobs that don't have one in game. Currently the relics are too powerful, especially the Claustrum. This makes the hardest content far easier than it should be. Also it fails to recreate a 75 FFXI experience and is instead a funserver interpretation thereof. The Iridial/Chatoyant Staff is more than powerful enough. BLU is more than powerful enough without a relic. SCH is more than powerful enough without a relic. All this does is upset the balancing of the game and fuels the ridiculous dynamis farms leading to the current dynamis-jeuno situation. Also with more and more ToAU content coming out we might see the capability of creating mythics which would require more work for less payoff than the current custom relics. My solution would be to remove custom stats and custom relics. They aren't needed, are overpowered, and do not recreate a 75 experience.
Claustrum is only a tiny bit better than Chatoyant staff with refresh slapped on. There are still situations that Chatoyant staff outdamages Claustrum.
4) Augments
Augments are broken. The system was created as a means to sink gil out of circulation. Basically because old players were sitting upon millions upon millions of gil with nothing to spend it on the admins at the time introduced eggs and augments to get some of the money out of the players as well as circulate some of it to newer ones. This system has failed horribly especially since now augments via eggs are being phased out. The augments themselves are stupidly overpowered. +10 Store TP on the Walhra Turban is crazy brutal earrings with additional double attack, toreadors with triple attack. This further unbalances a server out of balance. And now it's worse because the cruor used to augment gear is even easier to obtain. Not to mention the only gear that could have been augmented is hard to obtain gear to begin with such as the scorpion harness +1 but not it's nq counterpart, which further exacerbates the problem. Where does the power creep stop? Furthermore this does not recreate a 75 experience. The augments were a bad idea and should go away. They don't sink gil not have they since they were first introduced, and are overpowered and broken. All of the augments should be removed.
Hard to remove at this point when it has been on the server for 4+ years. Some people have spend hundred million gil on augmnets on items which honestly does more damage to the server than good. Era is a custom server afterall.
Lately the admins removed the the EXP buff from the moogles for anyone with a job above 70. While it was never intended to be up so long and was there as a reward for putting up with server instability, it's removal has revealed an issue with exping. Overall humans will choose the path of least resistance. Right now that path is to grind out EP mobs for book exp. While nothing inherently wrong with this, it does become an issue when you find out mentors cannot use books for exping. A large draw of exping with mentors is that they provide a stable level sync for long peroids of exp grinding. If all people want to do is the one thing mentors cannot do, what are they do do but multibox, which is a problem I mentioned earlier. There should be more incentive to fight IT mobs for exp and thus actually form functioning exp parties. My suggestion is twofold: first apply some limits to page exp; one can only obtain once per ingame day or make it less rewarding the more people are in your party/alliance. Secondly, remove the exp chain bonus cap. When you defeat mobs EM or higher you get a chain bonus, but at chain 5 or 6 this bonus caps out. With it's removal it makes it more rewarding for players to do more traditional grinding, as well as form well functioning exp parties, and fosters further cooperation between players. Secondly it leaves FoV an option for those who cannot get a party for a specific point in time.
Books are pretty nice when there's no one around. Server is pretty quiet in EU times, and seems to be most active in NA prime time. Unless you want a full party multiboxed by two or three people which also goes against your multibox argument.

iienji

Post by iienji » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:27 pm

1) The situations where chat outdoes clausturm is far less often than not. Usually has to take advantage of the environment or party makeup to happen, both of which I'm okay with.
2) We've had them for 4+ years is an appeal to tradition fallacy. Just because they've been around a long time doesn't mean they're not bad for the server overall.
3) And I don't want to remove the book exp, I just want to make exp parties more appealing.

Run_Away

Post by Run_Away » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 pm

At this time i cant comment on any of the proposals you made, however i do love that you took the time to write out a well worded critique on some things you disagee with on Era.

As we both know changes do happen on Era that not everyone agrees with and perhaps some of the changes you suggested might happen. I will say unlikely but nothing is impossible. As you may know advances in both dsp and Era has brought recent changes to the server and further advancements will most likely trigger additional changes.

I know the admin team does not always share its thoughts with the community, and sometimes what we put out is a direct response to negativity. However, rest assured that we do actually read what the community is talking.

Once again thanks for the post and im sure the admins will discuss atleast some of your thoughts

Landsoul
Donator
Donator

Post by Landsoul » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:29 pm

3) And I don't want to remove the book exp, I just want to make exp parties more appealing.
Regarding Exp parties are appealing though there's E.Ronfaure, Wajaom Woodlands that requires 5-6 man party. There's also merit parties which I use to do pretty regulary to farm points for Zeni. I have to agree exp parties aren't as popular as I initially started on Era 4 years ago I assume more and more people finish their sub job or jobs to 75. 4 years ago there were parties non-stop at any time of the day which have died down a little.
2) We've had them for 4+ years is an appeal to tradition fallacy. Just because they've been around a long time doesn't mean they're not bad for the server overall.
Regarding augmnets, it's way for people to grind a piece of custom content. Also gil sink since eggs are also buyable from vendors. It's a pretty similar concept to how retail was. This was still pre 99 where people were spamming Warwolf belt in the hopes of getting STR augment. As of post 75 there were augments on 75 gear to keep them relevant like E. Body. So, to get back to Era's augment system I find it hardly a fallacy. A long time is a reason to keep them otherwise people time and gil investment would have been for nothing. Sounds to me it's just you wanting them removed. Relics are also too easy to obtain and the most powerful item in the game. You can literally farm them in 1 day, want them removed too for the sake of balance? It's about the concept affective taking something away. If they were too strong they should never have been re-added after the initial augment wipe.

JustAScrub

Post by JustAScrub » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 pm

I'll be honest, I recognize the majority of the issue you have detailed and agree with you, however, I do not agree with the methods in which you have brought forward in which to correct said issues.

I would make the suggestion, in reference to Grumblix, that he be moved from a "Trade x item" for points + gil to a system of "Kill x Creature" for points but no gil. Grumblix could have Eggs/Coins/ect associated with him to create incentive for all of the player base to engage. It would work towards stopping, the effective analogy, the faucet of gil heavily influencing the current economy. The points on Grumblix should be paid out, or simply reset as to not create an unbalanced atmosphere where older players have an unfair advantage and flood the economy again with the associated items if they aren't made exclusive. To any argument against, Grumblix is little more than a source of gil for a lot of the player base that utilize him. He is extremely effective in this nature, too effective to be blatantly honest. Some of the gear currently on him will also create an issue moving forward with the advancement in TOAU and Assaults, which I hope would be handled in a transparent and community engaging direction.

Custom Content Relics and Augmented Relics are also interesting. I honestly have no suggestions but feel that simply removing them or nerfing them is a strong armed approach. Relics such as DNC and BLU do not feel overpowered or class changing in the manner in which they were designed and implemented. I personally feel both are adequately designed in line with their Mythic counterpart to server as a relic for jobs which never received such on retail. To begin arguing about Mythics is extremely premature. BLM and SCH do seem to have garnished a tremendous amount of love from relics on retail that served little purpose, the same can be said about WHM. Deeper and balance focused conversations should be encouraged instead of outright removal to form a better answer how to proceed, Iienji.

Mentors, EXP, and Multi-boxing are all the same issue in my opinion. The creation of Mentors allow for more EXP parties to be formed in theory, creating an active atmosphere in the community but requires an influx of players. Most people come from retail, and have had their fair share of playing, leveling, and getting acquainted to the jobs of FFXI and know they want to level Samurai, or Red Mage and have no intention of trying Corsair or Ninja. A good way to keep players experiencing, and attempting new jobs 20 years later is providing incentive while maintaining the grinding aspect of FFXI. In my opinion, the FFERA dev team have done this through the implementation of Mentor, Mentor rewards, and Mythic Reward on completion of Maats cap. While it seems abusive, it is an amazing amount of time to sink into a 20yr game on a private server. I remember it took me, maybe, 5-6months on retail to get my 1st 75, and another few months to get my second 75. I'll tell you what, I played to 90 Cap relatively actively and never made Maat's cap even with the abusive Abbysea EXP PTs of 200k+/hr (for a bad PT). To expect something after months of work if not longer, in my opinion, is reasonable. Especially seeing how there's maybe 3-4 clear Mythics that are worth actually getting, and one of them is WHM, god bless whoever actually enjoys being WHM forever. Multi-Box is just a way for players to challenge themselves and provide little to no impact upon the community in a meaningful way other than making you feel bad knowing that a player can simultaneous play 6 characters and beat content that took us 18+ back in the day.

At the end of the day, I think your post has merit, I think you just need to understand that although you have a vision for what FFXI is, it might not be the vision of what FFXi Is for someone else. But the beauty of FFXI is, that's perfectly fine. We can all have different interpretations of the game, and they are all completely valid and legitimate. Want to beat Kirin? You can kite him and kill with RNGs. You can Zerg him with KC DRK. You can Throw BST Pets at him. You can BLM SC him. Or you can be crazy and try to solo him.

Venom2019

Post by Venom2019 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am

"For a server with a small active population, the economy is terrible"

I have to agree. I started this week and when i saw the ah prices i knew i would have to farm all gear myself till i had Thief high level enough to make gil. The thing is, i have 13 years of FFXI and experience through many private servers and i know that player retention is due to first impressions. My time in retail made me realize that i have tons of gil opportunities no matter how bad the server economy is but a not so veteran ffxi player will prob check the ah prices and uninstall.

I know this will be tough to accept and old players in this server will hate this suggestion, but imho unless the gil is reset and the npc related to this massive inflation is sent to the center of the sun this server economy will never flourish and that will be a huge detriment to the server's future as new player retention will be minimal and vets eventually quit due to RL changes/boredom. I know it sucks to have your perfect paradise being stormed by some fresh player ideas, but i dont see any future for this server to be populated with current prices. Unless you guys are ok having 50 unique players (not counting the alts) for years to come.

Death

Post by Death » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 am

iienji wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:51 pm
1) Custom Relics
I believe most of the custom stats and custom relics are fairly balanced out if you look at the overall bigger picture.
iienji wrote:
2) Mentor Mythics
I agree with this, I never understood giving out Mythics for maats cap mentors. Makes no sense. I'm hopping soon we can change this with salvage in some way.
iienji wrote:
3) Multiboxing
I actually multi-boxed myself for a little while because there were no people to xp with during my time of play/exp lvl I was currently at for most of my leveling days here in ERA before I got my maats cap. I think saying that no one should be allowed to have more then 2 characters active at a time is asinine. On the flip side, I can also see why people would be upset if they saw someone running around with say a SMN army killing everything in sight in certain end game scenarios that were never meant to be able to solo by yourself no matter how many accounts you have.
iienji wrote:
4) Augments
So talking about augments coming from a player that has sunk way to much time, gil, and effort into them, I have always been against them from the start. They were NEVER around during the 75 cap era we base this server off of. First, I know for a fact that if you were to wipe them away, you would probably lose half of this server in a days time. Sad fact but true. Someone told me once, "If you don't agree with the augments, just don't augment anything." I actually tried that out for a while in the beginning, but lets be honest here. Trying to keep up with people who have augments is impossible.
iienji wrote:
5) Grumblix
Was also never a fan of grumblix myself, but I do understand why he was introduced.
iienji wrote:
If we had an overall bigger population on this server, then I would agree with some of this, but changing this like how you suggested, I don't think would work out in the long run with our current server.
iienji wrote:
7) Custom content
Which custom content do you have an issue with? This seems to be a broad statement.

Death

Post by Death » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 am

Venom2019 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am
unless the gil is reset
ya...... no

I have seen what resetting gil does to a server. It will basically wipe it of almost all vet players.

mikeonffxi
Donator
Donator

Post by mikeonffxi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:06 am

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts! As a somewhat new-ish player here there are some things I agree with and some things I don’t, so in the interest of discussion and helping ERA to become a better place I’ll share some of my thoughts so far:

#1 - The custom relic is a good idea as far as I see it, it gives jobs who never had a relic, and who can’t get a mythic (as far as I know those are mentor-only at the moment) a chance to have an ultimate weapon where they wouldn’t be able to get one before. This will make more people work towards them and give them something to do other than sitting around in town complaining that they have nothing to do, especially if their main is an expansion job (mine is, by the way and while I have no current plans to pursue one of these, knowing that I have the option to do so in the future is a good thing) As for the power I can’t really comment on that too much, they have to be better than a normal weapon of course, but if it’s too game-breaking then it would need changed. I don’t have one so I can’t really comment on whether that’s appropriate or not

#2, 3, and 6 we can just do all at once since they’re directly connected to one another. I think the mentor mythic is a fabulous idea and an appropriate reward for all the effort required to achieve it. (Disclosure: my main character is a mentor) If you think that these weapons are just being “handed out” then I suggest you go try getting one and finding out for yourself. Needless to say, this is something that will easily take in excesss of over 1 year of playtime and many, many XP parties (with no FOV pages, because mentors can’t get them). For reference I have been on ERA for about two months so far, and even though I have 3 alts, still do not have even one job at 75 yet.

Which brings me to #3. Multi boxing is actually a good thing for the community (if used properly) and I have personally met many people and even gotten myself an LS due to hosting XP parties who are (mostly) consisting of my alt accounts. I intentionally only made 3 accounts specifically so that I always have room in my parties for human players, because the people are what makes this game incredible and without them we might as well be playing FF14 or something. However a lot of times you NEED to have non-human players to advance (say, if you’re a mentor who doesn’t get home from work until 2:00 AM) especially if you’re a new player looking to XP in a server full of 75s and other people who just don’t have the time to help out a newbie. More options are always good.

As for #6 and XP in general I think it’s mostly fine. XP is extremely fast even without the moogle buff, and there are further options for increasing XP (like allied rings etc) so I feel personally that it’s fine as far as leveling speed goes (at least for non-mentor characters) As for people just doing EP book burns non stop, I haven’t seen this personally (note: I play in the middle of the night so this may be different for peak times) What I see most of the time is one or two people looking for XP parties in the social linkshell and then either not being able to find one, going out and duoing/trioing until they get enough people for a party and just generally taking whatever kind of party they can find, or if I’m in the mood to XP I’ll set up a party for all of us myself (filling in the gaps and PLing with my alt accounts!) And almost all of those are IT mob kills with no books because I’m a mentor. This might have more to do with the times you play because I don’t see a problem as far as XP goes

#4 - I can’t really say much about this because I’m not really at a point in the game where I’m augmenting stuff. Some of them are way too powerful the way they are currently (I believe I saw haste: +10 on one, which is crazy af) but I’m not even sure how much this costs or anything so that’s really all I can say on this for now.

#5 - I agree with you here, the economy here is completely out of control and something should change. When I was first leveling here I had to use hand-to-hand simply because I couldn’t even afford a basic level 10 sword for like 80,000 Gil. And armor, forget about it. I was fighting in the buff until I got my AF. Level 20 armor shouldn’t cost 100,000+ PER PIECE, if the endgame/level 75 gear is expensive that’s okay, but new players should be able to gear themselves adequately without going broke. An easy way to fix this would be adding custom NPCs (maybe use the outpost shop NPCs?) to sell level-appropriate gear at a good price, this would make it so that new players don’t have to be naked, but yet still allow endgame players to make millions of Gil from selling awesome gear, a win for everyone.

#7 - I agree with you that custom content should be geared towards filling in blanks as far as broken content or stuff that isn’t otherwise available, but the goal here shouldn’t be an “authentic level 75 experience”. So far ERA seems to be, as an old PSO server I used to play on referred to itself, as “vanilla with sprinkles” which I think is a good model for ERA to follow. That being mostly a “pure” experience with a few neat custom things added into it, as opposed to a server like Eden which is aiming to be 100% pure, or Jova which is basically an entirely different game. ERA falls somewhere in the middle of those two, which in my opinion is a good place for it to be.

Well those are my thoughts, thank you for taking the time to read them! Feel free to say hi if you ever see me in game (character Mentormike) Have a nice day!